An original pin badge from Butlin’s, Ayr for the 1966 season.
Enamel finish with the makers details on the reverse.
Great condition, retaining original pin fittings, and exhibiting only minor wear.
Butlin’s – Ayr
During the Second World War the Admiralty, who had already taken over his camp at Filey, asked Billy Butlin to construct two new camps; one in North Wales and the other in Scotland. Butlin found 85 acres on the coast neighbouring the Heads of Ayr.
In 1946 after the war had ended, Butlin took back ownership of the camp from the Admiralty and Butlins Ayr was opened to the public after some reconstruction work.
Heads of Ayr holiday camp contained all of the tried and tested Butlins ingredients: the famous Butlins Redcoats, a funfair, early morning wake up, a dining hall (with the cheers going up when a waitress dropped a plate), indoor and outdoor swimming pools, a ballroom, a boating lake, tennis courts, a sports field (for the three-legged and egg & spoon races and the donkey derby), table tennis and snooker tables, an amusement arcade, a medical centre, a theatre, arcades of shops, a chairlift system and a miniature railway.
The camp continued to be successful, and in 1987 a £25 million investment programme was announced. Work began in 1988 with £12 million used to construct a new swimming pool and upgrade the accommodation. A further £13 million investment followed over the next 5 years.
Once the renovations were completed the camp was renamed Wonderwest World.
Extract from Wikipedia